Covid-19 Athletics response: Welsh Athletics statement announcing the suspension of all Athletics activity.
|NOTE TO EDITORS
RSVP / Media Enquiries – please contact firstname.lastname@example.org 07864 613635
This morning Welsh Athletics, along with the other Home Countries have decided on a number of immediate actions in relation to how the sport of Athletics will respond to the threat of the Coronavirus pandemic.
Welsh Athletics in cooperation with UK Athletics have decided to suspend all planned organised athletics activity until the end of April where the situation will be reviewed once more:
- This suspension includes all organised athletics activity with the UK, including competitions and leagues, member clubs, running groups and races until the end of April.
- All Education activity (coach, official, teacher) will cease until the end of April. The aim will be to re-schedule all courses to a later date.
- Welsh Athletics is advocating that clubs and groups should not be undertaking training, competitive or other related activities during this period, and it is already apparent that parts of the sport are already showing their own leadership and are acting in this respect.
We have made this decision in accordance with the directives outlined by the government through the Prime Minister in his statement on Monday afternoon.
Welsh athletics would like to thank all members of the athletics community IN Wales for their support at this challenging time. We will endeavour to maintain regular, open communication as this situation develops. Please prioritise and support the health and wellbeing of yourselves and those you can within the Welsh Athletics family.
ABOUT WELSH ATHLETICS
- Welsh Athletics is the Governing Body for all Athletics and running activities in Wales. We have supported and facilitated huge growth in the sport in recent years.
- The Governing Body supports over 100 affiliated clubs, and 150 social running groups. This is underpinned by a strong and dedicated volunteer workforce, including over 1000 active coaches and close to 700 officials.
- Welsh Athletics strategies are closely aligned to the Sport Wales vision of getting every child hooked on sport and creating a nation of champions. Our performance programme aims to make Athletics the number one Commonwealth Sport in Wales, whilst our community strategy aims to have every school offering Athletics, whilst also creating an Athletics Club at the heart of every community.
- Recent Survey results in Wales show that the demand for athletics and running continues to increase. The 2017 Welsh Government Unified survey showed that 16% of Adults in Wales ran once a week, whilst athletics/running was listed as the most popular sport in the school Sport and HE/FE sport survey.
- This demonstrates our impact across the sporting landscape in Wales, with our programme contributing to physical activity levels, whilst also creating future champions that will inspire a generation.
You can get in touch and follow Welsh Athletes via the following channels:
- Office 029 20644870
- Website – welshathletics.org
- Twitter – @WelshAthletics
- Facebook – Welsh Athletics
- Instagram – WelshAthletics
Media Enquiries email@example.com 07864613635