Moel Lus Fell Race 10/04/2018
Well, what a fantastic evening – 132 senior runners & 36 juniors & some splendid performances. I’m proud that the WFRA chose the Moel Lus race to be part of its N Wales Champs series, & as always, was delighted to have chance to show off ‘my back garden’. So many friends gave their time to help in various ways, & for that, I am most grateful. Most of the shops in Penmaenmawr kindly donated prizes, (thus increasing our donation to mountain rescue at the end of the series), so big thanks to them also. The results are available here: https://www.racetek-live.co.uk/…/publ…/601/complete_results/, but to summarise the highlights:
- Following in the footsteps of older brother John,who won the race outright as an under 16 in 2014, the race was won by 15 year old Michael Spill in 23:37. John went on to run for Great Britain, so watch this space!
- Tom Wood, U18 had a great run to finish 2nd while Gavin ‘Gog’ Roberts was 1st senior man in 3rd position overall.
- There was a cracking battle in the ladies race, with Catherine Connellholding off Gemma Brown & Sian Lloyd Williams with less than 20 seconds between them all.
- 15 year old Gwyneth Parryin 4th position took 11 seconds off Bronwen Jenkinson’s 2013 U16 record, & we all know what Bronny has achieved since then, so yet another space to watch!
- 1st MV40 was Buckley’s Jez Brown, 1st MV50 Eryri’s Russel Owen, 1st MV60 Eryri’s Kean Rowlands & 1st MV70 was Buckley’s John Morris.
- 1st FV40 was Denbigh’s Victoria Whitehead, 1st FV50 Eryri’s Ali Thomas, 1st FV60 Denbigh’s Menai Baugh & for the first time ever, we had a FV70 winner in the race, who was Eryri’s ever-on-form Maggie Oliver.
- In the Caernarfon Tyres Juniors races, the U8 wins went to Riley O’Donnell & Esmee Near, the U10’s Ruthin Tri’s Ewan Lenard & Wirral’s Emma Grantham, U12’s Wirral’s Ben Grantham & Deeside’s Maisy Parry & the U14’s Menai’s Dylan Rob & Abbi Parkinson.
Last but not least, big thanks to Adrian Moir of Fabian4/Racetek for all his help & support, & for taking charge of the timing/results, of course to Mike Blake, who puts in more work than anyone as overall coordinator of the series.
The official race pictures are here (huge thanks to Steve Jeffery): https://www.facebook.com/SteveJefferyPhotography/?hc_ref=ARRJN9MQMcvHZTCV4pumtHJUhQWrVNJs2dACzlDMgwbhmXNmY6s4vGDWY9Def3WDRf4